Home > Visa to Japan


Under Japan's Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act, it is stipulated that any foreigner wishing to enter Japan must possess a valid passport and a valid Japan visa. Accordingly, if a foreigner does not possess the necessary visa, in principle, he or she could be refused landing permission.

Visas granted by the Japanese Government are issued only by embassies or consulates under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. A visa cannot be acquired after arriving in Japan and a visa itself does not guarantee landing (status of residence) permission. The possession of a visa satisfies only one of the conditions for application for landing at an airport or seaport. In other words, foreigners in possession of a visa will not automatically qualify entry until they receive landing permission after going through immigration examination.

Normally, a visa can be issued . Urgent or express visa is not available.



  1. Do I require a visa to enter Japan?
    (Find out if your country has a Visa Exemption Arrangement with Japan.)

  2. Can I apply for a visa in Singapore?
    (Find out if you are eligible to apply for a visa in Singapore.)

  3. What documents should I submit during visa application?
    (Find out what type of visa is appropriate for you and what documents should be submitted for application.)

  4. Where can I apply for a visa?
    (Getting to the Japanese Embassy is easy, everything from locality maps to public transport guide are available here.)

  5. How long does visa processing take?
    (Processing time may vary according to several factors. To avoid unnecessary delays to your trip, find out more.)

  6. How much is visa processing fee?
    (List of visa processing fees based on nationalities and visa types.)
    - VISA FEE WAIVER for foreigners visiting Okinawa!!! -

  7. How long is the validity period of a visa?
    (Find out how much time you are allowed to keep your visa before it expires.)

  8. Where can I find additional visa information?
    (General visa information from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan.)